Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Still flyin solo

So I'm still a solo....literally SOLO sister right now. No companion so I've been going on splits with my cebuano roommies Sis. Apina and Sis. Shaw and also some sisters in the branch. Besides that I'm just stickin with my jeung louh (elders). They've been doing a good job taking care of me. Ok so this last week has been pretty good! I feel the Cantonese coming slowly. My comp send me a quick letter from Hong Kong and says all the missionaries out there have great Cantonese...that just motivates me to push myself that much harder. It's tough but when I look back from day 1, I've definitely improved. It's just hard speaking tones when one, I'm nervous, and two, I'm emotional. Yes...I cried in our lesson again on Saturday haha our investigator Caleb is actually from Hong Kong and he's 18. (the real caleb is going to turn his papers in soon!) But he's very patient with us and I appreciate his service. It helps so much listening to an actual native. MY teacher Lauh Ji Muih (sister lau) is the sweetest thing on earth and comes from Hong Kong. She was only able to teach us Saturdays until just over a week ago and it has been such a blessing having her. We have so much fun and I always seem to do something retarded to make her laugh. She taught us "He sent his son"....well the first verse that is, in Cantonese and reading characters! haha it's hard but characters are really cool! Anyway, we finished up and prayed, and the missionaries were on a water break and i was kneeling on the ground still because we kneel when we pray. Anyway, Lauh Ji Muih came back in and I was starring at the characters (probably looking like this little primary child) and she just smiled, patted my head and said, "oh Kahm Ji muih" hahaha she seriously is so cute. And she has spunk too! So, our teaching is still not exactly where we would want it, but we are trying our best to teach with the spirit. I think the Cantonese (especially grammar) is what is holding us back so much. But we contacted Tommy (another cantonese teacher who is chinese) and taught him a mini lesson and tried to set up an appointment to meet with him again. Suprisingly, we understood a lot about what he was saying! They only problem was trying to respond to it. We just need to practice and practice. We are doing a much better job SYLing (speak your language) and hopefully we can progress quicker. So I don't think I mentioned this last week but I applied to be in this mini choir and I got in! I didn't really know what it was for but come to find out that we are singing for the New Mission President Seminar and have mandatory practices every morning at 7-8 and if we missed any we were out. That goes into some of my class time but they said it took presidence over any other MTC activity. They promised us we would be blessed for our willingness to sacrifice time. We have 5 pieces we are singing and they have to be memorized. So I have had to spend time with that and then trying to stay ontop of everything else has been a little crazy! Anyway, we sing on Thurs, Fri, Sat, and twice on Sun and it's all during my class haha but it's ok because it is going to be an AMAZING experience. Why, you might ask? Well Thursday we sing Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer for President Monson, Friday we sing Come Thou Fount for Pres. Uchtdorf, Saturday we sing I'm trying to be like Jesus for President Packer, Sunday morning we sing This is The Christ for Elder Holland, and Sunday afternoon we sing Joseph Smith's first Vision for Pres Eyring. They said the First Presidency and 10 apostles are coming! I honestly can't believe I've been given such an amazing opportunity to sing for the prophet and apostles. However, I'm going to need a lot of prayers. I get emotional even in the rehearsals and I want to be able to really sing for them. Anyway, that's my exciting news! Then I got called on Sunday to be the coordinating sister for the branch so i had a lot of training meetings and we have two meetings with the new missionaries that come in on wed and thurs (12 cantonese and 12 english!) which happen to be during class as well! I guess I'll need to just really take advantage of any time I have to study!! It will be good though and I know everything will work out. Well, things are going well. Once again, thank you for letters and prayers. I can't believe Mike will be here in almost a week!! He's going to love it. It's going to be amazing! And I'm pretty sure the temple closes from july 4-26 for cleaning so Mike, take advantage of the temple before you leave! Well I'm excited to meet the new missionaries and hopefully I will be able to help them as much as sister bishop helped me! Well I love you all! Do good! Oh one more thing, we listen to the spoken word every sunday and the last song they song was, "I got the whole world in my hands!" I nearly died! Luckily the sister next to me has seen rocketman and we just laughed about it! haha so awesome.


Love,
Kahm Ji Muih

No comments:

Post a Comment