Wednesday, August 3, 2011

mat yeh wah?



Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:12 PM

Oh man I don't even know where to start!! It has been a crazy time here. Yes, hot and sweaty but that doesn't phase me much. We only have AC right when we go to sleep which I am SO grateful for, but besides that we just cook in our place. Whoever invented the fan should be blessed. I'm trying to think back to last week...so last week we taught a lady Sis Pang from mainland and we taught her everyday, Thursday to Sunday and Sunday she was baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost! I always had a hard time understanding her but I understood enough to know that she had a testimony. The baptism went well (except the part when they could only fill the font up about 2 ft. Not even exaggerating!) She was baptized 3 times before she completely went under. 3rd times a charm ;). The language is hard. I'm understanding more and more but my speaking I feel isn't improving at all. Sometimes it's hard because I feel like others will speak for me when I struggle versus making me just do it on my own. Kind of like when I was little and would speak for Mike haha Karma!! Anyway, we have quite a few girls investigating but many of them are busy with school because they feel that takes precedence over everything, others can't be baptized yet because their parents won't give permission, etc. It's really sad when that happens. Especially when you know they are ready. So the last couple of days we have been doing finding! OH...finding is hilarious. It's hard but can be rewarding. We just smile and trying to talk to people walking the streets. The first time we went we couldn't find one person to listen to us. It was sad, but I understood slightly what the Savior went through. The people rejected him too. Yesterday we went finding again and we were able to teach a lesson and get quite a few phone numbers. As we were walking we approached a girl, about 16 years old, and before we could mutter a word she yells, Welcome!! She starts going off and who knows what, saying she's from Hong Kong, visited Taiwan for a little and said my Cantonese was great for only being there a week. (they all say that, they are so nice haha) she said she could help me learn Chinese and everything. so then we told her we were missionaries and told her about English class and EFY and she thought it was pretty cool. Then she started laughing and said, "I thought you were a tourist at first!" haha hou gau siu! so funny! Anyway, we were able to meet some really nice people and Ii hope that they will be open to listening to the message that we have.

So a few things about Hong Kong...everyone says the food is amazing (even if you don't like sea food) but I'm struggling a bit in that aspect. But it's ok, they have grocery stores with a good enough variety that I'll be ok. Maybe it's the area we are in or something but I’m not into much of the food. I’m always wanting fruit though haha another thing is the Chinese people believe that drinking cold water is unhealthy (something to do with your body temperature) so drinks are always hot. I asked for water at McDonald’s (yes--I went to McDonald’s yesterday haha so good) and she gave me the cup. Warm water! Not just luke warm, more like hot water haha it’s so funny. Anyway, it's been an adventure here but I’m continually pressing forward! today we are going to a Korean bbq which supposedly everyone loves so that will be fun! I think we cook our own meet at the table. hahaha well I love you all! I hope things are going well and that you are staying busy. I would ask one thing of anyone reading this: Please find a friend and share the gospel with them. Find someone prepared to listen to the message and then ask missionaries to help you teach them. There is so much power that comes from members of the church. Member referrals are so vital! So essential! And when they can come teach with the missionaries it is so powerful. All missionaries are doing their part but we need the members help too! Thanks for everything! I love you!! Oh ps, there is an elder here that is in my district, Elder Smith and we were all talking and he has a brother serving as AP in Montana!! hahahaha what are the odds. Pretty sure he picked Mike up at the airport. He's from Lehi, anyway, small world! Ok love you! Ga yauh!

Kahm Ji Muih aka Sister Piano

No comments:

Post a Comment