Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 5?? oh and early p-day!

August 31, 2011

So sorry! I forgot to tell you that we had p-day today (Wednesday) instead of Thursday this week. It is ONLY for this week though. I was wondering why I only got an email from dad and then realized that I was retarded and forgot to mention it. but I still want to know what's going on! Dad told me about Greg and Aubs Ragnar race and that is SO awesome! I'm so proud of them both! How did soccer go for them? Oh and WHAT IS AUBREY HAVING?!?! I'm dying to know and pretty sure she already knows by now. And what is her due date? January baby?!?! (represent!!) Anyway, it's been a great week! So we finished up EEFY and because it was in Kwun Tong and we serve in TKO we didn't get any new investigators from it. but we did have investigators come and Kwun Tong got 7 investigators! There was one guy that I started talking to, Tommy, and he was so good. I knew that he would be open to listening more about the gospel. He was in my group when I taught the first lesson and at the end we had them write down questions. He wrote, "Where was I before this life?" My face was beaming when I read those words! And I wasn't even going to teach him! (b/c he was in a diff area and he is a male. we can only teach males if there is also a female in the family listening to the missionaries) So Tommy is 26 and he said that he was getting of the MTR (the train) and was praying because he wanted to know more about his purpose in life. Then all of the sudden Elder Smith came up to him and gave him an EEFY flyer! He was really excited and felt that it was an answer to his prayer! Another girl Vicky who is 15, also received a flyer while walking. She and her mom showed up and I talked with them for a bit. Vicky was in my class for a few days and she was so good too! Afterwards she told us that she wanted to be baptized!! So amazing! She's also in Kwun Tong but it's just all so exciting! We also got to watch prince of Egypt and Mulan! (oh and before we joined to watch Mulan, we grabbed lunch and it started POURING! We ran back to the church with no umbrella and were completely drenched. The market has coverage so all the Hong Kong people just stayed under them and here were are sprinting around. everyone thought we were crazy!)

So our summer missionaries left us on Monday and it was pretty sad. I got really close with ours and it was sad to say goodbye but I will see her again, I can feel it! My listening has gotten a lot better but my speaking is still at the same spot. I’m learning a lot of patience though and it's all coming slowly. I'm being very blessed and noticing the small tender mercies of the Lord. Right now we are working with a lot of less active members and trying to help them strengthen their testimonies. There is little improvement which is better than none. One girl came to ALL of church for the first time this entire year! woohooo!! Our investigator Cherry's grandma came to church to see what it was about and it see why she talks about getting baptized. We talked with her and she is giving Cherry permission! but now cherry is nervous and scared. She's 11 and thinks she's too young and it's hard sometimes because she knows all the answers and understands everything but isn't willing to step forward with faith. it's something that has to develop with time and we are trying to be patient with her. It was super funny though because usually they kind of make fun of my Chinese and stuff because their kids and that's what kids do haha so we were teaching and reading from 2 Ne 32 and Cherry read the first verse, then Michelle (her member friend) the second verse, and then Sis. Chinison asked me to read the next verse and Michelle turns to me and says, "Jung Mahn!" which is 'Chinese'. haha usually what we'll do is just read in English and they'll read along in Chinese and vice versa. So anyway, I grab the Chinese scriptures from her and start reading it. You should have seen the look on their faces when I started reading this verse! Hahaha little did they know that that verse, 2 Ne 32:3 is the ONLY complete verse that I know in all the scriptures! Hahaha it was just so perfect! I just hope that they don't ask me to read something else another time :) haha.

We had a cheng out (where people treat us to dinner) last night and it was really good! I was nervous because apparently in the past Gwok Ji Muih will put frogs in the potatoes and whatnot. Anyway, we had chicken and veggies and taro and these peanut sauce on other vegetables and this yummy taro drink and fruit and shrimp rice and there was just SOO much food! She kept bringing out more and more and more and more! It was amazing and I was so full by the end! The Chinese people LOVE food. Food is how the show their love. They always offer whatever they have to anyone and everyone. And they feed you more and more whether you want it or not! They grab your bowls and just fill them up. At another cheng out they put blended tofu and fish in my bowl. I survived!! haha anyway, I gotta wrap this up but today for p-day we had a combined zone activity and hiked this mountain! the scenery was beautiful, we found a waterfall, and we walked through this old village in the middle of nowhere! I LOVED it! then we went to the beach and played football and Frisbee. I had my first squatter experience (not sure what they're called but the toilets that are holes in the ground) and I got super sweaty and I smell nasty. I share this with you because guess what...we have no running water til tonight! so I get to go to English class like this :) yummy! Anyway, things are amazing and good! I’m learning so much! we had members of the general Sunday school presidency and ym presidency come speak to us yesterday and they gave incredible advice and really boosted our spirits and fire! We are all ready to give all that we have and add oil! I love you all and pray that you are safe and healthy and doing well! I hope you know how much I love and appreciate all of you and my love for you and everyone in Hong Kong grows every day. Ga yauh!

Sis Kiene

No comments:

Post a Comment